Saturday, May 23, 2015

successes and failures....

I've managed to completely piece the top of the redwork hat quilt. Decided to edge two of the sides with prairie points....some embroidered with patterns of the hat bands showing in the fabric. I probably shouldn't stitch those on until the top is quilted. Lots of ideas of how I want to quilt this but need to do some sampling to see if my ideas will work. The plans are to do some hand quilting and some machine quilting.....more on that at another time.

click on the images....

embroidering prairie points

I'm wondering if this will be enough.

just playing....might be an idea for tile work.

the edge....facing inward is how I plan to place them.

Continuing to weave with the Shosenshi paper on the pin loom. I did try leaf dyeing on a couple of them but that was not very successful. Maybe I'll try adding some paint or stamps on these but they will not be part of the paper blanket.

woven paper and other paper embedded with rose leaves tied between 2 tiles and placed in walnut bath.

opening the bundle

looks like it's coated in mud....not very pretty.

I did experiment with crocheting some of the woven squares together which worked out fine but I think I would like it better with a color. It looks too drab. I do have some pretty colors of this bamboo yarn so I will continue to experiment.

too drab....need to experiment with other colors.
And.... did do some more experimenting with the paper manipulation but haven't been successful ....yet... in achieving what I'm planning.

color catcher sheets fused to cardstock, pin pricked and stitched


I watched this wonderful video of an embroidery of the Magna Carta that was fascinating. Thought you might like to see it. The video is here. The link I planned on sharing was just made private so I'm hoping the link I'm providing will work for you. You might have to be signed onto facebook. The embroidery is being exhibited at the British Museum right now. Wish I was close enough to visit.

....and...
JUST A FACT: Stephen Hawking's father, Frank Hawking, was a bee keeper.
You might enjoy this little video describing why the bee's build a perfect hexagon....it's HERE.

It's still raining here in Texas on a daily basis....on and off....the ground is saturated but more rain is predicted. Have a great weekend and I'll see you next time.

16 comments:

Rachel said...

I think I agree that a coloured thread will help to "lift" those squares, although it might be hard to pick the right one!

Elizabeth said...

Happy to see that you're still experimenting too, Deanna .... :-))

Nancy said...

The points add such an interesting element to the hat quilt. I'd love to feel those paper weavings and yes, color may add so much more to them.

FlashinScissors said...

Wow, love those embroidered prairie points, would never have thought of doing that! That's going to look great. I liked the bee video. Funnily enough I am just drafting a post about bees, hope to get it finished soon.

You've been so busy, dying and stitching, I'll be back to read this again as soon as possible.

Barbara xx

FlashinScissors said...

Hi Deanna,
I'm back again! I've just watched the video from your link about Magna Carta. I didn't need to register to Facebook. That was amazing to see. I will have to try to go and see the embroidery at The British Library. I'd never heard of this embroidery. I knew about prisoners embroidering, but getting famous people to stitch on this is so brilliant! Jarvis Cocker was saying how he was stitching on the train - I wish I had seen that! And he stitched the words from his son "Common People", such a clever idea. It has definitely brought tears to my eyes!
Thank you for letting us know about this!!
Barbara xx

FlashinScissors said...

Whoops, that should have read "song" not son! I didn't notice that error!

Louise@ElsieMayandBertha said...

Have you thought about using a pen to 'colour in' individual lines or sections of the woven squares? You could stitch on them too. You've produced many squares, but I don't think that I would have beeen brave enough to experiment with. I still have a problem with creating something that could be ruined by an experiment.
I already knew about the magna carta piece as I'd heard about it on the radio. I wish I could see it in the flesh, especially that piece that took the embroiderer 100s of hours to complete. It was such a clever idea.
I hope you've not been affected by the floods that I've seen on our news bulletins. There's seems to be so much devastation!
Have a good week♡

Magpie's Mumblings said...

All sorts of intriguing things going on at Chez Deanna! The one and only time I attempted a 'bundle' when we were still at the house and in the fall I buried my bundle in the compost barrel with plans to fish it out again in the spring. Ummmm - it wasn't until DH came in the house cursing that some sort of fabric had gotten all bunged up in his rotor tiller that I remembered it. At that point I didn't dare confess!!

Anita said...

The prairie points tile looks amazing ! Is that a box lid underneath? I agree..a different color thread will look good on the mat.

Jane said...

I love the prairie points, it will really make the quilt

margaret said...

so many different projects you have on the go here, the prairie points work so well with the project

neki desu said...

the bee vid is amazing thank you! lovely prairie point tile.the border as well

karen said...

you have been so busy!! Then again, you always are....:) I love that your points are going to face inwards...

Christine Barnes said...

I followed a link about the Magna Carta embroidery from Mary Corbet's website. The video is wonderful and the embroidery looks amazing. I love the idea the Wikipedia entry was used for this. I'm going to London in June and again in August to see Sonya Delauney and Alexander McQueen exhibitions. The British Library is very near Euston Station where I will be arriving so I'll make sure I leave time to go and see the embroidery.

magicmoonmusings said...

I adore those embroidered prairie points!! I've always liked prairie points and it never ceases to amaze me how versatile they are.

That Magna Carta link was breathtaking...such beautiful work, and a fascinating concept to use Wiki as a resource to create another historical record. The Or Nue illumination was just exquisite.

Jillayne said...

I don't think it's drab at all - subtle, I would say - I do love it... it has a beautiful soft sheen to it on the computer screen, almost lustrous in a way. It's all about taste though, isn't it?
Your quilt is really coming along Deanna - it's going to be marvelous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...