Saturday, November 29, 2014

I've gone over the deep end.....

don't really know how this happened but once I got started, I just had to continue until it was 'finished'... I started out with a print of an optical illusion and it took off from there... the finished piece measures 9"x12".

click on the images...



I cut out a triangle...added a zipper, some bullion knots, french knots and some snippet cloth in the background.

cut out sections and backed with cloth and embroidery

more french knots all around to enhance the circular motion. bordered with a silver shiny fabric and some gimp.

a fun experiment with paper and stitch
This was the final piece created in Karen Ruane's class....Doodle, gather, create....so much fun.

....and now I must finish my Downton Abbey coat. All the pieces are complete and I steam blocked the collar so I could do the scrollwork but it will need to be wet blocked when that's completed.

collar steam blocked....it's huge as the front of the coat is a deep v-neck.

scroll work completed on one side. determined to finish the collar today.

....and there's a new 'toy' to play with. I've been thinking of buying one of these kick spindles and one of my lace friends was selling hers. I tried it out and I love it. It's much easier to use than my drop spindle so hopefully I'll be spinning a bit more in the days to come.

Little Meggie kick spindle
Here's a link to the Woolery website where there's a video showing how it works for those of you interested...click HERE

Stay warm and have a good week.

19 comments:

Mo Crow said...

Wow love the op art Deanna!

Rachel said...

That's a stunning piece that you've made with Karen - well done!

Martine said...

Very smart Deanna........

Nancy said...

WOW you have been busy! That optical illusion is a trip to look at. Love the zipper idea! Can't wait to see the coat all finished.

karen said...

I'm still falling down that hole you have created!!! See you on the other side....lol...it is a beautiful piece Deanna. I love the look of your new toy.

Els said...

Oh my.... the optical illusion is fantastic !!! love what you did with it !
(sometimes an idea strikes like lightning ;-)

Suzanna said...

The illusion is very wild! It must have been dizzying to work on...

Jane said...

oh, Deanna! It does horrible things to my eyes, but that piece is amazing. Fabulous!

susan hemann said...

Beautiful work this week! Love the illusion piece and your coat collar is so amazing. You are so talented! Have a good week.

margaret said...

certainly this play around has worked beautifully such a great imagination you have, and your coat nearly fiisihed can`t wait to see it

Mosaic Magpie said...

Wow what an interesting piece of work...is part of it paper?
The Downton Coat collar is looking great, the little V shape out of the back is that so the collar will stand up?
The kick spindle...I have toyed with the idea of spinning several times, looking at wheels and drop spindles. This kick spindle is new to me. You mentioned The Woolery it is located very close to me...really a neat shop to visit.

Judy Warner said...

Finally found your blog! Love the piece from our Doodle class. Totally inspiring for me as I get started. Will really want to know how the spinning goes..have always been tempted.

Tina said...

Deanna!

You are so talented-you never cease to amaze!

Deb G said...

Oh that is so much fun! Of course you had to keep going. Excited to see what you do with the spindle and the coat.

Rose said...

Deanna that doodle piece is amazing!

Nat Palaskas said...

Whatever you did. It looks fabulous Deanna. A question. Is the black and white paper for fabric? Wonderful finished - Hugs Nat

jude said...

i feel like i might fall into that balck and white

Anita said...

Wow! your optical illusion piece is fabulous..You are setting up the bar so high in Karen's classes,a star student:-) Lovely spindle.

Peggy said...

An amazing creative art piece! It won't be long now on the coat. :) And I'm off to check the spindle link now, thanks, am always looking for the easiest way to learn to spin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...